Got a couple of hours to give? PyCon is organized and run by volunteers from the Python community. This year we're looking for over 300 on-site volunteer hours to help make sure everything runs smoothly. Everyone who is attending PyCon is welcome to volunteer, but you must be registered to volunteer. All help is very much appreciated. Thank you!
|Session Staff||Session Staff sign-up||Fri - Sun|
|Registration Desk||Registration sign-up||Tues - Sun|
|Handout Swag Bags||Swag handout sign-up||Fri - Sat|
|Swag Bag Stuffing||Just Show Up! Stuff 10 bags!||Thur (3 - 6pm)|
|Tutorial Support||Tutorial support / hosts sign-up||Wed - Thurs|
|Miscellaneous Help||Miscellaneous help sign-up||Tues - Sun|
Please read and understand the duties before you sign up to be a session chair/runner. Follow the links below for complete descriptions.
- Session Chairs and Session Runners are present for an entire session (usually 2 to 3 talks in a row).
- A Session Chair introduces the speaker, manages the time, and facilitates the question and answer period. "Please be seated. Our next speaker is..."
- A Session Runner helps the speaker get from the Speakers Lounge to the appropriate stage. They help in any way needed to make the session run smoothly.
- Only sign up for one role per session.
- Someone needs to say "Welcome! What is your name?", print a name tag, hand them their stuff.
- Please consider signing up for an hour on the registration desk. It's a great way to meet people and answer basic questions. If this is your first PyCon, it's a good way to get into volunteering!
Swag Bag Handout
- Help distributing swag bags & t-shirts; especially during that busy first morning of the conference.
- We're looking for one "Tutorial Host" for each tutorial to help welcome participants as they arrive: be sure they're in the right tutorial, give them any printed handouts, ask them if they need help setting up their laptop, etc.
- This need is for approximately 20 minutes before tutorials start until about 20 minutes after they start (about 40 minutes). See guidelines at: tutorial hosts.
- We need 7 Volunteers during each day of the main conference to Host Lunch.
- We need 5 volunteers to help setup the Young Coders lab on Friday evening.
- We need 5 volunteers to help teardown the Young Coders lab on Saturday last afternoon.
- We may also need last minute help with other miscellaneous setup and teardown.
Stuff Swag Bags
- Come stuff 10 bags! Many hands make light work!
- Help in quick sprints with lots of other people. For the big event, look for us at the end of tutorials on Thursday. Our goal is 5 bags/minute (can you guess how many things go in each bag? - close to 1/4 million items to bag!). Are you agile - in a crowd? We'll need about 100 volunteers for this sprint.