Skip to main content

Behind the Scenes at PyCon - Part I : Dessert Selection



Last week I met Van (PyCon Chair) and Ewa (PyCon Coordination Angel) in Atlanta to get more familiar with the Hyatt Regency floor plan and the sponsor coordination issues that I am responsible for this year.  While I was there I got to participate in some behind the scenes meetings.  I will blog about these issues in the following weeks.

I will start with one of the really fun tasks - meeting the Hyatt Sous Chef ,who will be working on PyCon with us, and sampling the various choices for salads, entrees and desserts.

I remember the 'good ol days' when we ate box lunches in DC that consisted of ham and cheese sandwiches, chips, apple and a cookie.  So, I am still blown away while sitting down to plan a nice catered lunch menu.  WOW!  1000 Python developers dining together in a huge banquet room.  It is amazing how far PyCon has come - and I hope PyCon attendees appreciate how well they are treated for their registration investment - and the effort by the community volunteers that goes into all the coordination and details.  If you have NEVER been to PyCon or haven't been to one in years ... you don't want to miss 2010.

The photo was taken when we were presented the dessert choices by the Hyatt's Pastry Chef. Each of us at the sampling was served one of these beautiful plates - with coffee.  The upper left was a Coca-Cola Chocolate Cake (Van's favorite).  The upper right was a fresh-fruit pastry tart that was D-lite-ful.  And lower left was a strawberry shortcake parfait.  I enjoyed the chance to sit around with other Pythoners and sample the treats and debate the choices.

The Pastry Chef earned many +1 kudos from us by writing "Welcome Python Software" in chocolate on the plates.  It was amusing when the Sous Chef alerted him to the simple fact that writing on 1000+ plates would require overtime, followed by the Pastry Chef wondering aloud "what did I get myself into".

I hope you see this photo when you are hungry and think about how well you will be treated at PyCon.  Registration is open now . Just consider that for $300 you will be surrounded by other like minded Python devotees for 3 days of Python only talks - and eat very well with bfast and lunch included.  This is like our own Python Community Stimulus Package.

See you in Atlanta in February.

Comments