PyCon is organized and run by volunteers from the Python community. This year we're looking for over 200 on-site volunteer hours to help make sure everything runs smoothly. Everyone who is attending PyCon is welcome to volunteer, and all help is very much appreciated. Thank you!
PyCon Organizers: email@example.com
|Session Staff||click S on the schedule||Fri - Sun|
|Registration Desk||Registration sign-up||Tues - Sun|
|Handout Swag Bags||Swag handout sign-up||Fri - Sat|
|Swag Bag Stuffing||Just Show Up!||Thur (4 - 8pm)|
Stuff 10 bags!
|Tutorial Support||Tutorial support sign-up||Wed - Thurs|
|Miscellaneous Help||Miscellaneous help sign-up||Tues - Sun|
- Session Chairs and Session Runners are present for an entire session (usually 2 to 3 talks in a row).
- Session Chairs introduce the speaker, manage the time, and facilitate the question and answer period. "Please be seated. Our next speaker is..."
- Session Runners help the speaker get from the Speakers Lounge to the appropriate stage. They help in any way needed to make the session run smoothly.
- Sessions Schedule: confirm talks you are staffing / tracks which need staff (hint: click the session# to sign-up for a role)
- Someone needs to say "Welcome! What is your name?", print a name tag, hand them their stuff.
- Please consider signing up for an hour on the registration desk. It's a great way to meet people and answer basic questions. If this is your first PyCon, it's a good way to get into volunteering!
Swag Bag Handout
- Help distributing swag bags & t-shirts; especially during that busy first morning of the conference.
- We're looking for one "Tutorial Host" for each tutorial to help welcome participants as they arrive: be sure they're in the right tutorial, give them any printed handouts, ask them if they need help setting up their laptop, etc.
- This need is for approximately 20 minutes before tutorials start until about 20 minutes after they start (about 40 minutes). See guidelines at: tutorial hosts.
- We need 5 volunteers to help setup the Young Coders lab on Friday evening.
- We need 5 volunteers to help teardown the Young Coders lab on Saturday last afternoon.
- We may also need last minute help with other miscellaneous setup and teardown.
Stuff Swag Bags
- Come stuff 10 bags! Many hands make light work!
- Help in quick sprints with lots of other people. For the big event, look for us at the end of tutorials on Thursday. Our goal is 5 bags/minute (can you guess how many things go in each bag? - close to 1/4 million items to bag!). Are you agile - in a crowd? We'll need about 100 volunteers for this sprint.
Stuffing Swag Bags - PyCon 2012
Photo: by kennethreitz